CMS MLN Connects Special Edition for November 19, 2019
New Medicare Card: Get Paid January 1, 2020 – Use MBIs Now
not wait. Update your patients' records and use Medicare Beneficiary
identifiers (MBIs) now, before you are busy with other patient insurance
changes in January.
We encourage people with Medicare to carry their cards with them since we removed the Social Security Number-based number; if your patients do not bring their Medicare cards with them:
- Give them the Get Your New Medicare Card flyer in English (or Spanish).
- Use your Medicare Administrative Contractor’s look-up tool. Sign up for the Portal to use the tool.
- Check the remittance advice. Until December 2019, we return the MBI on the remittance advice for every claim with a valid and active Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN).
Starting January 1, you must use MBIs to bill Medicare regardless of the date of service:
- We will reject claims submitted with HICNs with a few exceptions
- We will reject all eligibility transactions submitted with HICNs
Post Date: 11/19/19